• Beili Du, Pentre-bach

Beili Du, Pentre-bach

Beili Du is a Grade II listed building as an excellent example of a long wall chapel in a rural location, and retains joinery finished in painted imitation graining, typical of its date. It was first built in 1800, to serve the local Calvinistic Methodists of this part of Breconshire, where it was well-served by student-preachers attending the College of the denomination at Trefeca. The cause was founded in 1790 and a parcel of land belonging to Beili Du Farm was leased to the trustees in 1800. The cause was originally Welsh-speaking, but eventually English predominated, in line with linguistic change across many areas of south and mid Wales. The present chapel was rebuilt in 1858, its whitewashed rubble ‘long-wall’ design quite old-fashioned for its date. The interior is barely touched by Victorian fashion, including the tub-like pulpit.

Beili Du chapel was first built in 1800, to serve the local Calvinistic Methodists of this part of Breconshire, where it was well-served by student-preachers attending the Methodist College at Trefecca. The cause was founded in 1790 and a parcel of land belonging to Beili Du Farm was leased to the trustees in 1800. The cause was originally Welsh-speaking, but eventually English predominated, in line with linguistic change across many areas of south and mid Wales. The present chapel was rebuilt in 1858, its whitewashed rubble ‘long-wall’ design quite old-fashioned for its date. This is perhaps explained by the constricted site, which allowed for a linear building, here with stable and schoolroom attached, all under one roof-line.

The chapel is built of whitewashed rubblestone with a slate roof which extends over the chapel and the small stable and schoolroom to the left. The facade has two large round-headed windows to the centre, between which is a round-headed plaque reading ‘Beilidu Capel Methodistiaidd Calfinaidd Adeiladwd 1800 Ail Adeiladwd 1858’. There are two 4-panelled doors, set in the outer bays, each with a round-head arch above with blank tympana. The right gable end wall has a round-headed window similar to those in the facade. To the left end of the facade is the stable, with exterior stone steps leading to a schoolroom lit by a 9-pane sash. There is a board door to the ground floor with a cambered head.

The interior is simple with panelled box pews stepped back in five steps. The curved Sedd Fawr has steps up to the right of the panelled pulpit which is canted and with a moulded cornice. The interior is barely touched by Victorian fashion, including the tub-like pulpit. The joinery is all finished in painted imitation graining, typical of the date. The ceiling is a modern replacement.

Following its closure in 1998, Beili Du was transferred to the Trust in 2009, under its status as a prescribed charity under the Redundant Churches and Other Religious Buildings Act 1969, (as Beili Du, Pentre-bach

Read more about the Work to date
Read more about the history
Read more about Calvinistic Methodists

Archive- Beili Du

Further Information

Beili Du Listing Document

Notes taken on 200th Anniversary Service at Beilu Du on 8th October, 1990 .
Beili Du R G Davies 1990
Beili Du Olwen Davies 1990
 
 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes.: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

File:

File:

File: